Picosecond laser (referred to as Pico Laser for short) is considered the most advanced laser technology on the market today, helping to solve skin defects with extremely short pulses without invasiveness, without surgery. So what does the Pico laser do ? How is the application? What are the pros and cons of this beauty method?
What is Pico Laser?
Pico laser is the latest technology in the treatment of melasma, freckles, tattoo removal, skin rejuvenation, acne scars and other pigmented problems with short treatment time and high efficiency. Pico Laser technology is capable of producing laser beams with extremely short pulse durations measured in picoseconds (10-12 seconds). Pico lasers have different wavelengths such as 532nm, 755nm, 1064nm to help target accurately while limiting damage to surrounding normal tissues.
What effect does Pico laser have in today's life?
Pico laser has the effect of helping to solve many skin imperfections, including
1. Treatment of melasma and most other pigmentation problems
Melasma is a common hyperpigmentation disorder that mainly affects women. Women are more likely to get melasma when experiencing situations such as hormonal changes due to pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy, or birth control pills. Melasma usually appears on the face but can also sometimes appear on the neck, chest, and forearms.
And Pico Laser therapy will solve melasma safely and effectively. The Pico laser targets the discolored areas of the skin, helping to break down the damaged pigment into small pieces that the body can absorb and then eliminate on its own.
Freckles are one of the common complaints on customers who want cosmetic treatment. Compared with previous nanosecond lasers, Pico Laser has superior efficiency and minimizes unwanted effects. Using a Nanosecond Laser to treat freckles has a relative risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation of 25% to 47%. However, using the Pico Laser reduces this risk to 1% to 10%.
In addition, the Pico laser is also considered as the first choice in the treatment of Nevus of Ota and Hori Nevus pigmentation.
2. Tattoo removal
The Pico laser treatment is considered the gold standard in tattoo removal anywhere on the body. Pico laser has the ability to break tattoo ink particles into smaller pieces than conventional Nanosecond Lasers.
Therefore, difficult-to-treat tattoos can be easily removed with Pico Laser technology. Using the Pico laser also helps to remove large tattoos with less discomfort, fewer repetitions and complications.
3. Skin rejuvenation
Pico laser corrects conditions such as wrinkles, crow's feet, improves large pores, ... helps rejuvenate the skin to bring youthfulness and radiance, especially on dark skin types. Pico Laser technology delivers energy pulses deep to the dermis, creating bubbles in this layer, in order to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin to help fill wrinkles, crow's feet, ... bring elasticity. resilient, firm.
4. Acne scar treatment
The FDA has approved the Pico Laser for the treatment of acne scars. The Pico Laser Treatment for Acne Scars works as follows:
- The Pico laser is focused into small beams that cause minimal damage to the acne scar area.
- The absorption of thermal energy of the Pico Laser deep in the dermis of the skin, activates the body's natural healing process.
- The scar tissue is stimulated to produce collagen, elastin and realigns the dermis structure to improve skin firmness and fill the scar tissue.
The advantage of Laser Pico in the treatment of acne scars helps to shorten the recovery time and the cases that have failed with previous methods. Especially on people with pigmentation problems or dark skin, the Pico Laser is a safe option that limits the possibility of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation when treating acne scars.
How does the Pico laser work?
The Pico laser works by delivering extremely short pulses of energy, limiting its ability to radiate heat to the areas that need to be treated precisely. The action of the Pico laser breaks the problematic skin pigmentation into many microscopic fragments, which are then absorbed and eliminated by the body naturally. Pico laser technology results in fast, effective, highly selective treatment of pigmented lesions and tattoos.
In addition, Pico Laser penetrates deep into the skin to help boost collagen and elastin production, resulting in smooth and firm skin. In addition to the ability to improve scars and smooth imperfections, the Pico Laser method also helps skin rejuvenation in reducing wrinkles, crow's feet, ... bringing firm texture, brighter skin tone and regaining freshness. young.
The Pico laser determines the target extremely accurately, allowing for optimal photomechanical effects. Although the energy pulses have a high frequency, the effects of the Pico Laser are gentle on the outer layer of the skin. Pico treatments do not burn the skin, and patients experience less discomfort during the treatment.
What are the advantages of Pico laser technology?
1. Advantages of Laser Pico . technology
Pico laser technology has outstanding advantages when compared with some other methods such as:
- Less pain during the procedure and few side effects.
- The Pico laser precisely targets the target, avoiding damage to nearby tissues. Therefore, the Pico Laser is safe and can be applied to any area of the face and body.
- Pico laser treatment does not require much downtime, patients can go home the same day.
- The Pico laser helps patients achieve their desired results in just a few treatments.
- The time of Pico laser treatment is shortened, it only takes about 5 - 30 minutes per treatment.
2. Disadvantages of Laser Pico . technology
Besides the outstanding features, Laser Pico has some disadvantages as follows:
- In some cases there may be redness and swelling but this should subside within a few hours.
- Feeling slight discomfort for a short time.
Contraindications of Laser Pico
Laser Pico treatment is contraindicated in some of the following cases:
- Pregnant or lactating women.
- Hypersensitivity to infrared light, taking medications that make the skin sensitive to sunlight/UV rays, or light convulsions.
- Have an autoimmune disorder, such as lupus erythematosus, diabetes, etc.
- Having skin diseases such as herpes, psoriasis, etc.
Possible side effects of Pico Laser
After each treatment, patients may experience some side effects from the Pico Laser such as moderate dryness and discoloration, but this should go away within a few days.
The current Pico laser machines on the market
Currently on the market there are many Pico laser machines such as Pico Way, Picosure, Pico Genesis, etc., which integrate many wavelengths and all help to remove tattoos, melasma, freckles with high efficiency. Besides, the Pico Starwalker laser machine is more outstanding, when it combines 4 wavelengths and 14 laser modes, acting as a versatile, very flexible system, performing many functions in aesthetics.
StarWalker's technology combines the high energy of a nanosecond laser with the ultra-short pulse peak power of traditional picoseconds, allowing photomechanical action to break down pigmented lesions deep under the skin without damaging the skin. hurt the surrounding area.
The basic process when choosing treatment with Laser Pico
The basic process includes 6 steps when treating with Laser Pico method :
- Step 1: The patient will be examined by a specialist in Dermatology - Aesthetic Dermatology, asked about the drugs he is taking, the allergies he has encountered and at the same time advises on the treatment course.
- Step 2: Clean the skin, apply numbing cream to the area to be treated.
- Step 3: Prepare necessary tools such as laser machine, goggles, ...
- Step 4: Wipe off the anesthetic and disinfect the skin before the laser.
- Step 5: Conduct a Pico laser beam on the area to be treated.
- Step 6: Reduce pain and instruct the patient to take care of the skin after the treatment is over.
Notes to know before and after Pico laser treatment
1. Before treatment
Before entering the Pico Laser treatment process, patients need to adhere to the following:
- Avoid sun exposure before and after treatment.
- Do not take any medicine such as vitamin E or aspirin because it can interfere with the treatment.
- Avoid glycolic acid 2-4 weeks before treatment.
- Visit the hospital to examine, check your skin condition and consult a doctor to determine if you are suitable for Pico Laser treatment.
2. After treatment
The notes, after Pico Laser treatment are as follows:
- Avoid direct sunlight and extreme heat.
- Use sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.
- Avoid touching or scratching the treated skin.
- Consult your doctor before using cleansers or moisturizers.
Skin care after Pico laser treatment
In order for the skin after Pico Laser treatment to recover quickly, the patient should do the following skin care:
1. Cooling for the skin
To reduce swelling and redness after the skin is exposed to the Pico Laser, an ice pack or gentle mask can be applied to reduce the heat sensation caused by the laser's thermal effect.
2. Gentle cleaning
After a few days of Pico Laser treatment, you should wash your face with salt water or facial cleanser depending on the doctor's instructions.
If you are using facial cleansers with ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide, AHA/BHA, etc., you should consult your doctor about the time when you can use it without harming the skin. In addition, it is not recommended to exfoliate until the skin is restored because it is easy to cause irritation and damage.
3. Keep the skin moist
After Pico Laser treatment, the doctor will prescribe some ointments to be applied to the treated skin area to keep it moist and create a protective barrier to prevent bacteria from entering.
4. Protect skin against ultraviolet rays
UV rays damage the skin. To reduce the risk of discomfort, dark spots, and other damage, you should limit your sun exposure and use sunscreen regularly even indoors.
Use a sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 and reapply every 2 hours to enhance the best skin protection effect. And always wear a wide-brimmed hat to avoid the sun when riding a motorbike or walking.
Questions that may interest you
1. Does the Pico laser hurt?
Have! Most patients will experience pain and a slight stinging sensation in the treated area. Therefore, before the procedure, the doctor will give local anesthetic to reduce discomfort and make the treatment comfortable.
2. Is the Pico laser any good?
Have! Laser pico is an effective treatment for those who want to improve skin conditions such as: melasma, freckles, age spots, wrinkles, tattoo removal, acne scars...
3. Is the Pico laser effective?
Laser Pico is a modern technique in the treatment and improvement of skin problems. This method allows to remove tattoos, reduce dark spots, treat acne scars, regenerate skin... In particular, Laser Pico shortens the treatment time, is highly effective, patients can go home the same day.
4. Is the Pico laser safe?
Have! In 2012, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the first Pico Laser, the 755 nm alexandrite laser (PicoSure, Cynosure, Westford, Massachusetts), for the treatment of unwanted pigmented lesions and tattoo removal.
Laser Pico method is an advanced, safe, non-invasive skin resurfacing technique with a short treatment time. This method has some side effects but is completely controllable.
5. How long is the recovery time after treatment?
Virtually no downtime needed! Thanks to technology with extremely short pulse duration, the treatment time is reduced and the skin is quickly restored. After treatment with Laser Pico, customers can use products and makeup, as well as meet friends and partners without worry.
Specializing in Dermatology - Aesthetic Skin, Tam Anh General Hospital has now applied Pico Laser method to treat pigmented skin lesions and remove tattoos with high efficiency, shortening the treatment time for patients. Together with a team of doctors and nurses with many years of experience in the field of Dermatology - Aesthetic Skin will help patients achieve the desired results and minimize the side effects.
The Pico laser has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of melanin lesions, skin rejuvenation and removal of various tattoo pigments, so patients are assured of this treatment. Importantly, patients should choose reputable facilities, hospital addresses, and skilled doctors to improve their skin efficiency, safety and avoid dangerous complications.